Friday, May 2, 2008

Chickens and Eggs

Some people might call me crazy - my own child did - but when Reed and I went out to the hen house this morning to clean up one of the gals was making noises like it was egg laying time. So we stood in the corner and tried not to move around while two of them got settled in the nesting box to lay. Reed lost patience after about 10 minutes and left but I stuck it out while they cackled and picked and jostled for space and finally, settled down to concentrate on the business at hand. First one, and then after another 10 minutes, the second one, and then the other girls were coming in and letting them know in no uncertain terms it was time to make room since they'd completed their duty. So I hung around for the second round of two more eggs from the other two. I don't know how long I was out there, at least an hour, but this was a first in a lifetime for me and I enjoyed coming back to the house with the four eggs that hadn't been there when Reed and I first arrived. Reed thought that the chickens were too nervous about my presence to do their job and I had assured him that if I stood still it would be okay. I don't think I'll feel the need to watch this process again any time soon now that I've done it and satisfied my curiosity. But it was definitely worth the long wait just this once.

And yes, we ate them for lunch. soft-boiled, with a bit of fleur de sel (the finest sea salt). Delicious. The only time in my life I've eaten eggs that I saw come out of the chickens.

No comments: